Tuesday, January 11, 2011

My personal learning themes

01/11/2011

From my learning experience I would say that my learning themes are that I have to be motivated, involved and interested.

I like to be motivated to learn by knowing that what I am learning can help me in the  future.  Mainly because I forget everything I learn unless I use it somehow.  So what s the use?  Even though I forget a lot of stuff I can sometimes recall my learning process and adn go through it to remember any particular thing I may have learned and forgotten.

I do like to be hands on in my learning and science is my favorite subject.  This is a way that I find I remember things.  If I watch someone do something then have to do what they did, it can be difficult.  But if I help or am talked through a specific task then it is easier to complete the task.  I work well from example.

Also I must be interested or my mind wonders.

I remember a density bottle that a science teacher showed me in a 6th grade science class.  Basically three different liquids with three different densitys.  The liquids did not mix.   There were three layers of liquid with something like red liquid on top, white liquid in the middle and blue liquid on the bottom.  When the bottle was flipped over, instead of the blue liquid going to the top and red liquid to the bottom, they kind of slipped passed each other and the blue remained on the bottom red on top, and white in the middle.  This was amazing to me.  I went home and tried it.    My learning theme is if I am amazed I am interested.


Thank you,

Mario Ortiz

2 comments:

  1. Your description of your 6th grade project is so good that it made me want to try it myself with my kids(both middle schoolers.) What a great standard to keep in mind when planning projects and lessons--is this something that will be remembered and thought about later on? My eighth grader is doing chemistry and has only done worksheets on the elements. What a missed opportunity to try for something memorable, like your description. (I do encourage his home-based chemistry "experiments" that leave my kitchen a wreck, though!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being motivated, involved and interested is so important. Even if you aren't any of the above, sometimes you have to wing it. I wish I loved and was so interested in everything I teach, but sometimes when you have taught the same thing 6 times and it isn't the most interesting of subjects... you have to force yourself to be interested and interesting.

    ReplyDelete