Sunday, January 23, 2011

Mario Ortiz Educ 2250 post 2 Education and schooling

Education and schooling seem like the same thing to me.  Without looking up the definitions I suppose education can be considered what a person does to gain knowledge.  This can include independent study as well as formal and structured instruction from a teacher.  Schooling might would include formal and structured instruction from a teacher.  Let's see what thefreedictionary.com com says... Well they are defined similarly.  Whatever.

The fundamental purpose of teaching is to help somebody to learn.  To help different people learn however, one must have be able to use different techniques for individual learners.

The fundamental purpose of learning is a tough one.  I cannot speak for other people, but for me the fundamental purpose of learning is to make me happy.  I learn new things to occupy my mind, to improve my economic standing, to learn how to deal with people and situations better and to be a benefit to society.  These things make me happy. :)

Thank you,

Mario Ortiz

3 comments:

  1. I enjoyed how you turned the fundamental purpose of learning and reflected on yourself and your personal beliefs of what learning means to you. It's a good thing when learning makes you happy:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really like your idea of learning for personal happiness and satisfaction. I think the most successful people have this attitude toward learning because it makes them self-motivated and willing to keep trying new things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mario, I like that education and/or schooling makes you happy. I really, really like that. It makes total sense.
    I, too, am happy with education. It makes me happy almost without boundaries. Well, maybe that is a little extreme as I certainly wouldn't enjoy a lifetime of quantum mechanics.
    So, there really is an element of choice and one of the qualifiers to that choice is whether or not it makes you happy.
    I am not sure, though, if education *or* schooling makes you happy. Schooling conveys to me a forced activity, a not-so-peachy-keen subject. Is there also a difference between learning, education and schooling?
    Let's adventure on this!

    ReplyDelete